Sunday 4 April 2021

The Gnomes are watching me...

 I hear them.
  

NOOOOO!!


I can't take it anymore!

I tried to sleep again but I could do it.
I wanted to sleep I really wanted it - needed it...
Damn do I need to sleep!
But I can't...
You see I have a problem.
Gnomes.
Yes! You hear me correct!

Please hear me out for I am truly not going mad even though it might sound that way.
I have seen them, those beasts.
The little people that nibble at the carpets, and the edges of my bed, the shores of my curtains.  
  They are there...
  I see them every night - because they only come out when it's dark.
  I see their beady little eyes in the corner of my room.  They are always there, watching me.
  They only come out at night.
  I try to sleep but I hear them nattering, speaking in an unknown tongue, and although I do not understand the words they use I know, I feel it in my heart, they are plotting my downfall.
  It is the most awful thing.
  One night I was chased from my bed by three gnomes.
  In my haste I fell down ten flights of stairs -
  YES!
  Ten!
  How I survived I do not know.
  As I rolled the many steps I thought maybe I would break a bone or too, but I did not!
  I should of died.
  I think those gnomes placed some curse on me...
  They want me to live.
  They want me whole!
  I know this because I tried to end my days many times!
  I tried to hang myself once, but I woke in my bed the next day.
  I even tried throwing myself in front of a bus - but I only ended up on front of my desk at work!
  And everytime I go home they are there waiting for me - white eyes blinking in the shadows, nattering in their evil tongue!
  O help me!
  Then one day when walking home from work and man, who rather resembled an owl, approached me.
  He stared at me with his great green eyes and spoke: 'I see the fear in you.  You walk these streets as an imitation of your own shadow.  What is it you fear.'
  I was too embarrassed to speak of it.
  But the man seemed to be able to read my thoughts - it's like he could not only see my fear, but understand it, as if he was a veteran of the same nightmare I was living through.
  'You see little people don't you?' he said.
  I nodded.
  'I do as well,' said he.  'They watch me everyday.  There is no hope.  Move away from here.  If you do not, they will crown you their shadow king - and then you will be doomed to a fate worse than death!  Leave the area my son!  Live in peace.  You will find no shelter in your home, for your bed is built above cursed ground.  For beneath where you sleep lies somewhere an ancient goblin cave - and the hate you for disturbing their rest.  They want you to stay awake forever, to never sleep, like they never sleep.  It will be your punishment if they capture you, to exist forever as a shadow.  You will be forced to listen to them natter forever and beyond!  Flee now my son!  Flee the gnomes before it is too late!'
  
So I fled home...
  I have sought temporary lodgings elsewhere for now.
  I have had a solid night of sleep for the first time.
  But I do not feel refreshed.
  I still can't shake the feeling I am being watched.
  Not watched by people - but little people - little people in the night - with beady eyes watching.
  I know the gnomes are still out there?
  Peace is but a hope for men like me, but I must be prepared, for if the gnomes do come after me I must be gone - like a breeze in the trees - like the sun before the moon - I must be gone!

=================================================================


Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Given 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel


My Books












No comments:

Post a Comment