Tuesday 6 April 2021

The Face in the Dark Room

 There it is again -
  The face!
When I awake it is gone - and then i stop thinking about it.  
MY mind is clear when I work.
  But whenever is dark, and when it is quiet, I think of it - and sometimes even see it - the face in the dark room.
  It never speaks.
  It makes no sound.
  But I can see it as bright as a star - the face in the dark room.
  It only ever comes out at night.
  Only when it is quiet does it appear.
  I tried to show the face to other people, I let friends in one night - and I showed them the face.
  The face in the dark room.
  But nobody could see it.
  We stood there in the dark - without the lights on, and it was oh so quiet!
  And I could see the face, as a clear as a star in the night skies - but no one else could see it.
  'There it is,' I said.  'Look harder!  here is the face.  It glimmers now, in the corner, a mask made out of moonlight.  Dull it glows, but it is there - see it now!  Look harder!  There are its eyes and there lies its mouth.  It does not smile.  it is a sullen thing.  Look now, look harder!  There is the face, the face in the dark room!'
  
I am scared to go near the dark room these days.
  Whenever I am asleep I dream of the face.
  I know it is out there, in the quiet gloom, watching - waiting maybe.
  But waiting for what?
  I do not know and I shudder to guess.
  I don't want to ever find out.
  So I moved away one day.
  In my new home there is no dark room.
  I no longer see the face.
  My sleep is dark and silent.
  But I know the face is still back there, in the dark room.  Maybe someone else will see it, and the face will enter their dreams.
  But not mine.
  No sir!
  No more!
  For I am free from that face -
  - The face in the dark room.


=================================================================


Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Given 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel


My Books












No comments:

Post a Comment