Monday 22 May 2023

Jim's Subway 20: Water Sleeper

The policeman continued:
  'Don't look so surprised everyone!  It's totally true.  We have got a body right now bopping up and down the estuary.  it's a sight to see.  We've had to work all day to keep the seagulls from having at it!  Full time job for lads and myself.  But never mind it's all part of our sacred duty to protect the land.  Unfortunately we can't let any of you leave not until my boss has had a word wit you.  This is an emergency situation - we don't want anyone tampering with the body, you see.  So we thank you for your patience in advance.'
  ladies and gentlemen we are going to ask that you remain in your stations while we determine whether or not a murder has taken place.  In the meantime please to continue to enjoy your drinks and  conversations.  We will update you when we finally have any data to update you on.  In the meantime we appreciate your patience and respect in advance that you will not do anything stupid.  We don't need people hindering our investigators while they are investigating.  Not only that but you do not want to go anywhere near that dead body, believe me.  It stinks something awful.  Take that as a word of warning.  We can put you in and out of a prison cell, but there are certain things a person can never forget - like the stink of a day old floater!  It shook me, and my Dad was in the army!'
  Just at that moment DC Peddler entered the bar and to everybody's relief ordered the policeman to shut up.
  'Right there is a certain somebody I would like to talk to,' he said.  He slowly walked up to Jim.  'I want a word with you in a quiet corner - now!'
  Seeing as he was at the mercy of the power of the law Jim conceded, and followed the DC over to a table not far from the bar.
  'I don't know why you want to talk to me,' said Jim.  'Surely you should be out there looking for a murderer?'
  'O I am looking for a underer rest assure,' the DC replied.
  'SO you say?  Does not look that way to me.  I think what you are doing is harassing an inoccent member of the public...'
  DC heard Jim sa this and then he laughed in response.  'We both know that you are neither innocent or strictly speaking a member of the public, being an obvious stranger to Fenwick.  I don't like you, boy.  And I never have.  The moment you turn up on our doorstep things have soured for us Fenwickians.  This used to be a peaceful town under my watch.  And then you show up and everything turns to rot.  And now we have death on our hands it seems.  Just know that I have got my eye on you, boy.'
  'You can't blame me for everything that goes wrong in this town.'
  'Why not?  You see this is how my logic operates.  Before you came along there were no troubles.  You come along and then we have trouble everywhere.'
  'All I have done is go on one crazy drunken binge...'
  'I ought to have you locked up for that!'
  'Then why didn't you?'
  'Because I want to get you for something big, boy,' DC Peddler responded.  'I want to give you life behind bars.  yes.  That's right.  Life.  And a murderer would give you life.  Life for a long time!  And I would be more than happy to give that life to you.  So step up and prove me wrong.  Show me you are not a murderer.  But you can't.  All I have got to do is prove that you killed this man, and then I have got you, boy, for life.'
  'But I didn't kill anybody!'
  DC Peddler stepped and sneered, and then he shouted in a voice loud enough for everyone in the bar to hear:
  'And am I supposed to believe that?  You turn up to our peaceful town and then somebody dies!'
  'It doesn't mean it was me who did it!'
  'O really?  Well I haven't finished unravelling this fine web you have woven.  You see the person who has been murdered is a stranger to town as well.  That's right!  No one can identify the body.  It's a stranger from out of town, like you, Jim.  That's why I know you have to be the killer!  Yes.  I know its you.  I can't prove it yet, but I will do with time.  I've got you boy.'
  There was something about DC Peddlers speech that was irritating Jim so much he felt the need to change the conversation:
  'Why do you keep calling me a boy?' he said.
  DC Pedder sneered once again and replied, 'Because everyone is a kid to me.  I am old, and I have worked hard to get to my position.  It is just the way the world is.  I am a man and you are a boy.'
  Jim asked DC Peddler when he was born.  
  It was a personal question but DC Peddler was not afraid to answer it.  He told Jim 65.
  'Right!  Okay!  Interesting.  so that makes me five years older than you.  So by right of my years that makes me your senior.  You are a kid to me.'  
  DC Peddler heard this outright truth and returned with this sharp rebuke:
  'Don't get cocky kid!'
  Jim knew he had been beaten in the argument and so he bowed his head, and decided not to continue the discussion of age.  Jim knew he was never going to get one of the DC, not while the constable held all the keys and the cards.  He had the power in Fenwick, not Jim.  
  Jim knew he had to be careful around the Constable.  He knew he had to watch his words.  
  "I need to get this man on my side," Jim thought.  "Maybe a little fawning might work."  Clearing his throat he said to the DC:
  'I like you. You are good at your job.  I know we have got off to a very very very very bad start, and that is putting it lightly.  But maybe if I buy you a drink.  I guess you don't drink on duty, right?  But what about a buy you a drink later on.  Why don't we work together?  Let me help you.'
  'How can you help me, boy?' Dc Peddler replied.
  'Well, listen.  You keep pointing out that I am an outsider, right?  Maybe the fact that nobody in Fenwick knows who I am can be of help to you?  Maybe I canding around, listen in on things, find information that can aid your case.'
  DC Peddler heard this and started to rub his chin.  He started to smile, a grim smile.  He seemed to like the idea.  He ordered Jim to follow.
  He led Jim outside into the street.  They were shadowed by four officers.  There was no way or where for Jim to escape.
  'I want you to take a look at the body,' said Mr Peddler.  
  Jim did not know whether to be flattered or terrified.  
  First, because DC Peddler wanted him so intimately involved in the case, and second because he had never seen a dead body before.
  Well, he thought, there is a first time for everything.
  They were just dredging the body up from the estuary.
  It was bloated and green, but Jim recognised at once who it was!
  It was his colleague at his old job.  Jim was so shocked he said his name out loud:
  'It's Jon Ward!'
  Jon was never a handsome man when he was alive, but Jim had to admit, he looked far more fetching in death.  His death mask was far more preferable to his living one!
  'He looks good dead,' Jim continued.
  'What is that supposed to mean?' Peddler spoke up.
  'I mean I never liked him,' Jim replied.  'I could never stand the guy.  Actually I hated him.  I am glad he is dead.  But I would never murder him.  I mean, i would have, if i was ever given the chance to.  But I didn't do this.  I fled home long ago.  Someone else killed this filthy dog.'
  'I admire you honesty,' DC Peddler.  'As you have helped us to identify the body I will let you off the leash, for now.  And I repeat, FOR NOW!  But I am unto you, Jim!  Do or say anything suspicious and I will know, and then i will have you.  Behind bars.  Do you hear me, boy?'
  'Loud and clear,' Jim replied.

As Jim was walking back to the Rits a cold hand grasped him and pulled him aside!
  He was dragged to the end of a backstreet and then given a minute to regain his breath and his sensis.
  When Ivan recovered and calmed he saw the face of Ivan Gustav looking back at him!  
  'What do you think of my nice little bit of handiwork?' he said.  
  Jim was shaking.  He was shook!  He didn't know what to say!
  Instead he shrugged and shook his head.
  'You gave me the name and I did the deed,' Ivan continued.  'You said Jon Ward.  I found Jon Ward.  And then the River found Jon Ward.  And now here we all are!'
  'You killed that man!  I don't know whether to be scared or thankful...  I mean I hated him truly i did.'
  'I don't care how you feel,' said Ivan.  'I need you to know this, Jim.  I can get anyone, anywhere.  I needed you to see with your own eyes what I am capable of.  Threats are one thing, and they can work sometimes, but I find deeds to be far more persuasive especially when one is trying to build a business and get things done.  So listen to the next thing I am about to say.   When i tell you to do something you do it!  I want nothing from you except loyalty.  I don't play games, Jim.  Remember Jon Ward's green face when you think about standing against me.  Now you know my true power, Jim.  Never make a fool out of me again.'
  He let Jim go and walked away into the shadows and the mists of the street beyond.
  It was going to be a dark day indeed!

(Remember!  All spelling errors and grammatical mistakes are intentional - the author 😆)

Previous part here
===========================================================

Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Give 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel
My Books









No comments:

Post a Comment