==============+______________+==========...........................................................................
I see you with my little eye...
I see you. Even when you are not there. Seek me. Dead though I be, I need thee.
Feed me...
I cannot live without thee.
So I say again I need thee - do not let me live a forgotten memory of the dead...
For even dolls have eyes 👁👁
=============================================***========================
Greg Parsons was playing his video game, King For A Day, and was bored to death. He had been playing the game for a week and he just couldn't stand playing it anymore. There is only so much one human being can take playing ONE game, the same game, over and over again!
MADNESS was setting in!
Chucking the controller onto the floor: 'What an awful game this is! A King For A day! What a lot of rubbish! The person who programmed it must have been a lousy idiot! I just can't keep playing this rubbish. I need a new game!'
But that was the problem...
Greg could not afford new games.
He did not have a Saturday job or a paper-round to generate pocket money.
And his parents, well, they didn't have any money in general, only a small treasury stored for cigarettes and booze.
Paper-round? Working for that snivelling weird guy who run the minimart across the road?
Sod that!
Life was too short for that type of nonsense - wasting your life away moving your weight around for another human being?
No way!
Greg just wanted to play games...
But he only had ONE game.
O very well.
Back to it then.
Back to 'A King for a Day!' Hooray!
'The guy who programmed this game must be a really stupid fool,' Greg moaned as he started firing the game up. 'Who would waste their life building a game about a king who died 700 years ago? O well. It's a game so I might as well try and enjoy it!'
It's better than working for a living...
Hehe!
I just need to convince my parents that I do not need a job...
Maybe I will tell them I am sick?
Maybe... O wait! I know what to say to them if they talk about me getting a job again - I will tell them that I am busy with school work and that I am planning on going to... University! That's right! that's what I will say to them. It should work, and keep ME out of work for a couple of years.
Hehe! I am such a pesky devil!
Now let us get back into the game...
I love playing games even if I hate the game I am playing.
Anything beats talking to real people!
It was Sunday and it was time for another depressing and unwanted family meeting.
O poor Greg hated those things whenever they (the family) popped up.
His boomer father and even boomier grandfather just didn't get the modern way of things - it wasn't 1956 anymore. Life was not about getting a job, getting a house, getting married having kids and dying. NO. WW2 ended in 45. Those days were done. Over with! This was 2026. This was the new age. And the new age had a new way of doing things.
Life on 2026 was about...
...Playing video games - arguing with people you have never met before online in some forum somewhere - O yeah and it was also about getting AI to do things for you, like your homework etc...
Greg couldn't understand why AI hadn't take over the world already.
Let it happen!
Give me a game console, a place to live and a universal income any day!
Bring in the new world order!
Yes!
Then I won't have to go back to school again...
'You need to get yourself a weekend job, boy,' said Greg's grandfather. 'Why at your age I had two jobs and three babies from three different women to raise. I had to roll up my sleeves! No lounging around for me no taking it easy no sir!'
Well that was your decision to get three women pregnant, you stupid idiot.
My decision is to play video games - so suck it up! Boomier boomer!
'I had children to feed!' the grandfather went on wearily. 'Damn you Greg! You don't known you were born! Do you know what life was like for me and my family after the war? I saw it all, boy. The town was a ruin! You had to fight to find food. You had to fight to live. That was the world I was born in, and it was even harder in my Dad's day let me tell you!'
O! Here we go. Another lecture about the hard old days. Grandfather and great grandfather and the war...
Like I really care...
The only war I care about is the one going on right now in my video game... At least in my video game wars nobody gets hurt.
'Your Great Grandfather, my Dad, was a member of the resistance...'
O really? Like you haven't already told me a 1000 1000 times!
Damn it! Just stop already!
'You need to buckle up boy,' grandfather rolled on. 'There is an old saying that is as true as apples grow on trees... what goes round comes round... it is a true saying. So you watch yourself! There will be another war one day and it will be you who is the one fighting in it. You need to man up, do you hear me boy?'
Man up? Right! Sure. Now that nightmare family meeting is over, again, it's time to head back to the bedroom and back to the game...
Greg only had one video game. And mirroring this sad fact he only had one mate as well and he was fat guy named Pete.
For Pete's sake where's Pete!?
'Ah! There he is! What have you got me for me today Pete?'
'Alright mate! Sorry mate I have only been able to rumble these few games...' said Pete in his weary sloshy gushy voice.
Pete was a big fool!
All he did was sit and play games. And indeed he looked like the man who did just that - because he was indeed just so fat!
Pete handed Greg a box with his blubbery sweaty hands.
'You will find lots of good stuff in that box mate,' he said.
Greg fished through the box like a desperate man and he was so disappointed of what he found in it he groaned like a hungry man denied a meal.
'No Pete!' Greg whined. 'These are copies of the same game... look! That's paperboy! You have got four copies of paperboy!'
Greg always hated the paperboy game because his parents were always threatening him to get a job as a paperboy... 'Yuck! I don't want that rubbish!' Greg always resisted getting a paperround! 'Look Pete we play games to escape reality right? Do you really think I want four copies of a game about a thing that my parents are nearly forcing me to do in real life? You know what the answer is Pete. The answer is NO! You have got to have more games I can play? This can't be it! You are the biggest gamer in town, literally and metaphorically. I bet you are hogging some of the best games out there and you are just not sharing them with me! And you call yourself a mate!'
'Those are not copies of paperboy,' said Pete. 'They are different versions. See? In version two you get to get to run the policeman over with your bicycle. It's a laugh!'
'That is not the point, Pete! For goodness sake. I just don't want to play a game where I am playing a paperboy! Do you know how much pressure my parents put on me to get a paper round?' said Greg. 'The pressure is daily Pete. And you giving me these games it is like you are trying to torture me! I thought you said you were going to get that new one for me - Car Escape? I want to play Car Escape! Lend it to me now!'
'I can't!'
'Thanks mate... You are such a good mate!' said Greg sarcastically.
Greg was so disappointed.
Pete pushed in with his excuses:
'I don't have it yet!' he said. 'Look I will buy the game and once I am done with it I will lend it to you. I promise! Keep the box! There are other games in it.'
'Right I am sick of the sight of you Pete! I will keep the box but I need you to get out of my room! I will speak to you tomorrow if I feel like it.'
Greg grew bored enough to take a another look in the box.
There was a plastic card in the box. On the front of it in pencil were sketched in capitals these following letters:
GOX
Those letters didn't mean anything to Greg.
If it was a game Greg had never heard of it before.
Well anyway it wasn't paperboy so Greg plugged the card in and started playing.
GOX - can you complete it?
He was greeted with this dull uninviting screen:
Couldn't be a game. No way!
Anway.
Greg was bored so he clicked begin.
And then GOX started.
It was a bunch of objects slowly floating about. Greg clicked them and kept clicking them.
Clicking and clicking!
Gosh was it ever boring.
Greg wanted to turning the wretched thing off and paradoxically didn't want to turn it off.
Why did he not end the boring experience?
Because Greg was many things but he was also a curious fellow, quite inquisitive, a man driven by logic and he could not accept that a game, no mater how silly the name, could be utterly POINTLESS.
NO.
Nobody would ever waste their life essence making a pointless game.
There had to be a meaning to GOX. There had to be a point to it.
THERE HAD TO.
An so Greg clicked on.
And clicked on.
And on.
And on.
And his head started to nod - he was feeling sleepy. His lids started drooping. His fingers were still clicking but it was three in the morning and he was an automaton at that time.
His eyes lids shut for what - maybe half a second?
Yes, not long but indeed long enough for him to miss something...
DAMN! He cursed himself.
The GOX clicking game stopped and an image appeared on the screen...
But Greg the idiot had fallen asleep in time to just miss it, and yet also see it long enough to remember it when he awoke again.
It was back to the clicking game again but Greg could remember seeing an image on the screen for a split second - not for long BUT it was there!
I saw something I know I did!
Back to it then.
Back to the clicking.
And then it was FOUR in the morning...
Even though he had nothing to do that day (or any other day really) Greg still needed to sleep...
I will sleep and find that image again tomorrow!
Greg went to bed content. He was looking forward to a new day! Good gosh he had not felt such a way not since he had been an eight year old waiting for Christmas!
THIS WAS IT!
He finally had a mission!
GOX was boring horrible and dumb - but there was something else weird going on behind the game...
There was that image that appeared for a fraction of a few seconds... something weird was in that image, something unique, and Greg was going to find it again. He was going to solve the riddle of the game...
===========================================================
Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Give 'em Hell!
Play Elfin Quest
Play Witches Brew
Play A King For A Day
Also take a look at:
No comments:
Post a Comment