Wednesday 6 July 2022

Jim's Subway Part 8 - PayDay

 I sit here with a body wasted by time and wine,

but God still allows me the strength to write, 

Bless be the Lord this night


The Doctor didn't stay around for long.  He only had this to say:
  'You will start to feel ill again.  I won't be around to help because I don't work here.  I am only in this town because I was on special business.  If you need me you can find me at my office.  Here are directions.  You will need to take a train to the place where I live.  There is no other way.  You will find the train at this address.  Goodbye.'
  And with that the Doctor was gone.
  Jo was crouched in the corner of the room.  He couldn't move or talk.  It was the G-Juice, or the lack of it.  Jim had been given some respite thanks to the visit by the Doctor, but for Jo the horror of the hangover was still in full swing.
  'I would help you if I could old friend but I can't,' said Jim.  'I am in a mess myself!   The shakes have gone away and I can think clearly again but it is only a matter of time before my time comes again.  The Doctor has given me a second chance but I need to sort some business out before it's too late for the both of us.'
  He looked at the letter and examined the address.  
  'I have ot to catch this train,' he said to Jo.  'I will fetch more G-Juice and then i will be back!  Just don't die on me Jo.'

* * *

  The address led to the same rotten subway that had been Jim's haunt for the last few weeks.  
  This couldn't be?
  Was the Doctor trying to play a trick on him?
  No train had warmed the rails of that station for twenty years at least.
  But Jim stayed and waited nevertheless.  He had to see this Doctor Ivan Gustav again.  He felt very sure that man was the key to the G-Juice.  Maybe Ivan knew how to make it.  Perhaps he could show them the recipe to produce more of the excellent drink - or even supply them?  Jim had indeed enjoyed very much drinking G-Juice for free but he would be more than happy to purchase the stuff.  He had been judicious to save a trickle of his wages from his job and was in a position to buy a few bottles if they were available.
  He was starting to feel the shakes in his hands.
  It was a horrible feeling, it was like he had lost control of his body and without the burn of the G-Juice in his veins he couldn't move properly anymore!
  He needed the Juice just to think and to walk and to do things...
  Jim started to panic.  He started to think about Jo and had visions of the man lying on the floor dead back home in his flat.  He started to worry what people would think, what his landlord would make of it - what would the police do?  Maybe they would suspect he was involved in the man's death and reel him in?  
  It was all too horrible to think about!
  "If there is a damn train," he thought, "I hope it gets here soon because I want to get away form this place, this damn town this wretched life!  I just want out!  I don't care where the train goes just anywhere but here!"
  And then Jim heard the sound of an engine and the screech of metal on metal as wheels turned in the darkness of the tunnel.
  Then the train arrived.
  Jim was feeling so ill at the time he didn't care to think about how mad the situation was.
  No.  Instead he just let things be, and when the door to the second carriage opened he stepped on board and soon he and the train were away - flying across the track speeding out of town and outwards into a strange country of granite cliffs and grey hills and mist.
  Eventually he stopped looking out of the window and passed into sleep.
  

  


Life is a tough son-of-a-gun

It will crush your bones in its jaws, 

& spit you out,

and show no mercy

There is nothing between you and life but the jungle,

and in the jungle the war between life and death never stops.


Previous part here

===========================================================

Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Give 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel


My Books









Enter the Legend of Rudwin!


No comments:

Post a Comment