Sunday 1 September 2024

Jim's Subway 44: Last Stop

‘Found him!’ said Butch, triumphantly.  ‘So Mr Twaddle is staying at the Rits:
  Second floor, room number 9.’
  ‘Hiding in plain sight then?  Interesting move,’ said Jim.
  Butch looked uncertain, maybe a little anxious.
  ‘Are you sure he is the man you are looking for?’ he replied.  ‘You said Twaddle was Mr Grey’s right hand man.  He looked more like a bumbling moron to me.  Sounded like one as well when he talked.  He kept talking about whales…for some weird reason?’
  ‘Yes.  That’s our man.  And it’s all part of an act, I am sure,’ said Jim.  ‘I will go to him now.  But I want you to shadow me, Butch.  And go armed as well.  If things go array, don’t hesitate to open fire!’
  ‘You think Grey is going to try and stop us?  Do you think he wants a fight?’
  ‘I think Grey is capable of anything, and worst of all he has cameras everywhere, maybe even in this house… so he might already know about our plan!  I have got to go to Mr Twaddle now before it’s too late.  I am hoping to put pressure on him, convince him to take us inside the train.  When I ask you, Butch, you train the gun on him, do you understand?  Good.  Then let’s go!’
  They vanished across the streets like ghosts.
  Within an hour the two men had occupied no 9, and there was Michael aka Twaddle, apparently sleeping in a bed shaped like a boat!
  As Butch pulled his gun up Michael opened his eyes and started to speak in a restrained voice:
  ‘Shoot me and we all go up in smoke!’ he said.  ‘There is a bomb wired under my bed.  I make the slightest move and the Rits becomes the blitz, literally.  Sorry fellows.  I didn’t want this, but here we are!’
  ‘What’s going on?’ said Jim.  ‘What’s this business with the bomb?’
  ‘Grey wants me dead.’
  Jim asked the bedridden man why.
  ‘Some of the Tailors have defected to the Brazilian side, so Grey started a clean-up operation, eradicating anyone who he disliked or distrusted even remotely.  I have been Grey’s right hand man from the beginning, privy to all of his meetings, but even I am not safe!  Grey said I knew too much, and so I had to go.  He knew this was my favourite room, because of the boat, and he planted the bomb ready for me!  But it is not the first time he has tried to kill me.  Grey knows me well.  Yesterday he had several of his heavies throw me over the edge of the docks…gulp…into the sea!  The worst place for me…  Grey understands my fear of saltwater - I think he expected me to have a heart attack as soon as I dropped in!  But I survived!  The bomb was put in place as a backup plan - but I saw the trip wire before I got up.  I know the artistry of those kinds of bombs because I built them!  Yes!  And now they are being used against me!  Nobody on planet earth would want to be living my life right now!’
  Jim asked if it was at all possible to disarm the bomb.
  ‘I know my bombs,’ Michael replied.  ‘Yes.  There is a way to disarm them.  Open that draw over there and you will find a pair of scissors.  Once you have them, look under the bed.  You will see the bomb there, it is this red stick.  It will have three wires - you must cut the purple wire with the scissors.  If it is one of my bombs then the purple wire will snap it out of action in one go.’
  ‘What do you mean if it is one of your bombs?  Either it is or it isn’t!’ Jim cried.
  ‘We will find out in due course,’ Michael replied.  ‘I have been stuck in this bed for so long, I don’t know, I might have a leg spasm!  And that will kills us for sure no mater what!  So please!  Cut the purple wire, Jim.’
  Jim found the scissors in the place where he was told they could be found, in the draw, and then he slipped under the bed.  
  There was the bomb, sure enough, a red stick as Michael had described.  Jim found the purple wire and close the scissors around it - Death or not here we come!
  The scissors closed and the wire was sliced in half - and nothing happened…
  Jim took this as a good thing!
  Marvellous!  
  Jim got back up and told Michael the deed had been done.
  ‘We are safe, for the time being,’ Michael replied.  ‘But Grey wants us all dead.  You, me, all of us.  And when Grey wants something to happen it usually gets done in the end.  We are all doomed souls here in Fenwick, alas.  Especially when one of his cameras turns in our direction…’
  ‘Do you know if there are any cameras watching us right now?’ said Jim.
  ‘None here in this room.  I should know.  I was the one who fitted them across the town,’ said Michael.  
  Jim asked if Michael could reactivate the bomb.
  ‘It’s my bomb so my answer would be yes,’ he replied.
  Then came the obvious question:
  Why would Jim want Michael to do such a crazy thing?
  ‘Okay.  So I have this plan.  It is crazy and it might not work, but I think we should give it a go,’ said Jim.  ‘Here is a box I am holding.  It is empty.  I want you to put the bomb inside it and then set it to explode as soon as somebody opens the box.  Do you understand?  Can you do this?’
  Michael nodded.  ‘Of course I can.  Bu I can’t see how it will help us in this dreadful matter?’
  ‘O it will help us indeed,’ Jim replied confidently.  ‘You see I am going to put a label on this box.  It will be Grey’s favourite non alcoholic wine!  I want you to deliver it to him in person.  Say it is a peace offering.  Can you do this?’
  ‘I certainly can try!’
  ‘Don’t try, Michael!  Just do it!’ Jim returned.  ‘Everything counts on you being able to complete this task.  Our lives depend on this job getting done.  There is no future for any of us while Grey is still breathing.  When he is gone we can have our lives back!  I can carry on being the Banker and run my business, and so can Butch, and you, Michael, can do whatever it is you do.  No one will have to call you Mr Twaddle EVER again!  You will be free!’
  ‘After all this I would like to retire to Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the world,’ said Michael.  ‘it is a long dream of mine.  Up there a flood will never get me, you see?  I will finally be safe from all Whales on planet earth!’
  ‘I will take you up to mount Everest myself.  Just get that bomb to Grey,’ Jim replied.  ‘Make sure you put the box in his hands.  Let’s end this now!’
That evening there was a conversation between two people outside of a terminated train:
  ‘Good to see you!’ said the first person.  
  ‘My pleasure,’ said the second person.  ‘Here is a bottle of wine.  Deliver it to the end train, please, to the final carriage.  See the initials, Grey, it’s for him.  A free gift.  Tell him to enjoy the contents within!’
  A day later news reports came in rapidly on paper and on screens:
  Explosion at the subway.
  All in the area dead.
  After hearing the news Jim sighed with relief.
  A job well done!


(Remember!  All spelling errors and grammatical mistakes are intentional - the author 😆)


Previous part here
===========================================================

Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Give 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel
My Books








THE LEGEND OF RUDWIN REVIEW 

No comments:

Post a Comment