Tuesday 31 May 2022

Jim's Subway Part 6 - TRACKED

 Jim could shake the feeling that he was being tracked.
He tried talking about it to Jo, but the half living man was still trying to recover from a extremely nasty hangover so he might as well of being talking to a garbage bin.
  'I tell you Jo we are in trouble,' said Jim.
  Jim was sweating, with alcohol withdrawal but with fear.
  He had never been so scared before.
  The memory of the shadow outside was playing on his mind.
  He couldn't stop thinking about it.
  'And I got hate. mail as well,' said Jim.  'Hopefully it will stop soon and then we can get back to normal!'
  Jim shook his head he couldn't believe it.
  'I just wanted to entertain people,' he went on, 'I just wanted to make people laugh.  And now I am getting death threats!'
  Jim got another message on the computer that night.
  He was scared to read it - but he knew that he had to:
  I KNOW WHERE YOU WORK.
  Then three seconds after he had read it another message popped up.
  He did what he had to.  He clicked it open and it read:
  I WATCHED YOU WALK TO WORK LAST NIGHT.
  Jim was shaking.  
  His first course of action was to try and ignore the comments, convince him that it was nothing more than the ramblings of a very bored person sitting on the computer far away in another country.
  This way of thinking did not work for long.
  The comments continued to make chatter in his brain.
  Was someone actually watching him as he walked to work?
  The thought to something like this, some stranger spying on him, was too terrible to bear.  
  He was slowly starting to wish he had never built that darn website!
  The quest for fame and success did appear to be worth it not anymore, not when it attracted the attention of potentially crazy psychopaths!
  'It's just the internet,' Jon told him.  'My mate, who works for intel, owns a website with millions of followers and he gets sent that sort of stuff all the time, anything from dodgy links to straight up death threats.  It's just the way it goes when you put yourself out there in the view of the public!'
  "Yeah thanks for that Jon you have made me feel so much better," Jim thought.
  In fact he was hoping Jon was going to let him have the night of so he could prepare a defence strategy incase a stranger finally attacked - but his boss said no, and so Jim spent the whole night paranoid he was the centre of strange eyes.  
  He felt like he was being watched all night - and not just by his boss, but by something more sinister and more deadly.
  Jim decided he needed a drink to calm his nerves so as soon as his shift was over he sought out Jo by the subway, and grabbed himself a bottle of G-Juice.
  'I'm in trouble Jo,' he said.  'But I am not going to let it bring me down.  I won't let this destroy my dreams!  Who cares about some crazy person on the Internet!'
  The G-Juice certainly helped soothe his anxiety.  I great feeling of calm soon absorbed him.  He was very tired because he had finished a shift, and so with the help of the drink, he fell asleep, there and there, at the mouth of the train tunnel, he dropped down and lay there on the floor like a dilapidated tramp.
  Afew hours went by.  
  In that time Jim had the best dream of his life, full of flashing lights, and ribbons of colour dancing to the flow of the most remarkable music.
  And in the depths of the dream he heard a voice, and it spoke to him directly saying loud and clear:  DON'T GIVE UP!
  Gradually he awoke on the hard pavement.  He had a slight hangover but apart from that he didn't feel too bad.  
  IN fact he felt a little enlivened.  The dream had spoken to that part of him where the fire of life burns.  It had taped the organ inside his heart and now an orchestra was resounding in his body.  He felt read to go out there, grab his camera, and make new videos!
  And damn the haters!
  'This G-Juice!  It's good stuff!  I would be lost without it!' he said to Jo, as he turned away from the subway towards home.  
  That evening he received another message on his computer.
  MEET ME AT THE SUBWAY ENTRANCE 00:00 OR I WILL GET YOU
  Jim read this and was beyond scared.  
  He didn't know what to do.
  He didn't have anyone to talk to or ask for help, except Jo, who was a bad drunk, and the police, and when he talked the police they just told him to, 'Go home and keep your head down.  It will be alright.  Nothing on the internet is serious.'
  So he was totally alone in dealing with this matter.
  So it was up to him to decide whether he would go to the subway or not.
  The day was winding up, he had an hour left.
  It was decision time.
  He decided that he was going to go and meet the online stalker - or whatever he was, by the subway.
  Jim had a little bit of G-Juice left, so he drank it to still his nerves.  And then he set out.
  
  It was nighttime, and there was Jim standing before the entrance of the subway.
  He had done everything that the stalker had asked.
  There didn't seem to be anybody about, then Jim heard footsteps by the train tunnel.  He walked over to take a closer look, and he just about made out a human figure, and they were pacing back and forth in a very shifty way.
  Jim grit his teeth.
  It had to be the stalker.
  He rushed over and was about to knock the stranger to the ground with his fists and he noticed that it wa snon other than Jo!
  'You've been sending the messages?' Jim cried.  'I ought to give you a good smack for that!  I've been terrified!  What is this?  Your idea of a joke?  I thought we were friends?  Explain ourself now Jo you dumb idiot!'
  Jo was shaken.
  'I don't know about the messages,' he replied.  'It's got nothing to do with me, honest!'
  'Then why are you acting all shifty?'
  'I haven't had a drink all day and I am withdrawing badly.  I can't find any... G-Juice.'
  'Have you checked the box?'
  'I have.  Several times.  It's empty, Jim.  There is no drink inside.  This is the first time this has ever happened, and I am worried.  I need G-Juice to get me through the days.  Without G-Juice I am nothing.  I have got nothing to live for without the juice.  I can't do this Jim.  You gotta help me!'
  Then they heard what sounded like a stone being kicked at the back of the train tunnel.
  The two men looked back just in time to see a large shadowy figure move from one side of the tunnel to the other, before dissolving into the dark shadows beyond.
  It was the Tunnel Man!
  Jo and Jim were frightened and ran like fools.
  They agreed to not go back to the place not until it was morning again. 
  
Previous part here

[This story for me is an experiment in spontaneous writing.  I am just doodling about with this one, throwing down ideas and see where it will lead me and the characters.  Scroll down to see the earlier parts of this story.  Thank you.]

===========================================================

Also take a look at:

My Games
Play Give 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel


My Books









Enter the Legend of Rudwin!

No comments:

Post a Comment