Friday, 2 October 2026

GOX 11: Charlotte's Den (part 2)

So you are wondering about my demise?

So perhaps maybe you should start looking at me with your eyes...

Look at my eyes.  

👁+👁

My eyes and your eyes.

Can you see me?

No!

Come and find me then...

Can't you see me can't you feel me?

Come and find me then.

Want to know me want to find me?

Come and find me then.

Come and find me then...


***********************************************************
It was time to go home.  Greg was dreading it beyond belief.
  He just did NOT want to go home.
  But he had to do it.
  There was nowhere else for him to sleep.
  Nowhere else for him to eat.
  And nowhere for him to beg...
  Even Pete's folks wouldn't let him stay over...
  So it was homeward bound for our boy Greg.  And so he walked with dread, down the road back home.
  He might have to spend the night in the shed...
  Like Vance King...
  But no point shedding tears about it.
  Life does as it does.  It glazes a few, and dazes the rest!

The first thing Greg met when he opened the front door was his mothers fist.
  Well truth is his face met the fist first.
  Greg almost fell over.  Part of it was the booze, of course, but the rest was the hate behind the force that had just cracked into his skin and into his bone.
  His mother cursed him as he stood at the door, a shaking sweating rat of a lad.
  She cursed his name.  'I curse YOU Greg!'
  She cursed his life.  'I curse your LIFE Greg!'
  She spat on him before she hit him again and when she had finished doing that she said this:
  'I hate you,' and she repeated it again, 'I hate you.  You are an embarrassment to me.  You are an embarrassment to all of us.  You are going to put me and your father in an early grave!  Why are you so selfish?  We gave you a good life when you were growing up, didn't we?  We fed and watered and clothed you, bought you all of those stupid video games?  And here you are skipping school, and getting arrested by the police.  O yes!  I got a visit from Mr Maddox thank you for that, Greg.  Do you know how humiliating that was for me, when the police knocked on my door to tell me what an idiot you have been lately?  Why can't you just be a good boy?  Look at Harry across the road for example.  Harry is so well behaved and he dresses nice and he gets on with his homework.  He wants to be  solicitor don't you know?  What do you want to be, Greg?  An inmate in a prison cell?  Because that is the way you are going!  I wish I could disown you, boy.  But all I can do is beat you, and punish you and now I am done!  Go to your room at ONCE!  You are GROUNDED you hear me?  Grounded for five weeks!  My lord!  If your father was half the man...  Damn!  He would have dragged you off to the army!  O yes!  Like it was with your grandfather.  They put you straight in the army.  It is what you deserve, boy!  O yes!  Some army time for  you son.  That would learn you.  Life is all about hard work, Greg.  It is about suffering.  I didn't give birth to you for you to spend your life messing about playing games and getting arrested for being a drunk.  NO!  I birthed you so that you could contribute to the long list of contributors in this family.  My father your grandfather suffered in the coal mines.  Your Great Grandfather was in the war for Gods sake!'  She gave Greg a another full smack to the face.  'You know something, Greg?' she went on, 'when you were cooking in my belly my brother told me, seventeen year old girl that I was, he told me I should have you aborted.  He told me I should have you wiped out.  But I said NO I will do my lady duty, like my mother before me, and play my role as the good little wife to your Dad who was already sleeping with other women at the time.  I kept you.  I let you live.  Do  you know how much I sacrificed for you, Greg?  I could have been a singer don't you know?  Before the stretch marks I was a good looking women - look at these photographs!'  She grabbed the photographs - she always kept them at hand so she could fantasy about the past.  She thrust them in Greg's bruised face.  'That was me, fifteen years ago.  Look at me!  This was how I looked before YOU ravaged my body.  YOU destroyed me, Greg.  When you were born you destroyed my body full and whole.  And today right now you are destroying my soul.  I could have been someone, if it wasn't for you.  I could have been a singer married to a rich and kind man.  But no.  I birthed you.  I let you abuse my torso and I stayed with your waster of a Dad and we have lived in this forsake garbage dump of a hovel for fifteen years.  And all I ask of you Greg in return, for all that I have given to YOU, all that I ask is that you go to school and work and learn and do something with your life and not mess everything up...  Nobody in our family has EVER gotten into trouble with the police before.  YOU are the first one to bring this shame on our family and I am disgusted with you, boy.  Wretched boy.  You will go to your room and you will NOT leave it until I say so.  You will have food delivered to you but you will get nothing else.  Speak to me not for WE ARE DONE.  Now go away!'
  After one final smack to the face Greg was despatched to his bedroom.
  It wasn't all that bad.
  Greg still had access to his computer.
  And so long as Greg had his computer he could message Pete, and he could also play a little bit more GOX.
  And that is what Greg did.
  Things were going good until Greg started to feel ill.  He was sobering up...
  O the horror of it!
  He needed to go to the bathroom.
  He needed to leave his bedroom.
  Hopefully the rules didn't block him from using the toilet...
  So Greg decided to set out on a great adventure down the hallway.
  Hangin and sick and barely able to move he set out.
  Stumbling and falling he made his way over to the door.  He turned the handle.  That was part one of the mission done.
  Now the door was open Greg had access to the landing, and the within a few steps the bathroom...
  It was all good so far.  He had made it.
  With a wobble or two Greg did what he had to do.  He felt weezy.  It wasn't going to be easy getting back to his bedroom again...
  He slid on his side against the wall as he made his way back down the hallway.
  Things seemed to be going well until he was within reach of his bedroom door - and that was when the phantom appeared...
  It was Liz...
  Liz was another one of his sisters girly friends and she was sleeping over.  She was also an awful human being.
  'What are you doing, boy?' said Liz.  'You look sick.  Nothing new there then.'
  Liz hissed at Greg like a snake.
  Most women looked like vultures to Greg, but Liz looked more like a lizard.
  Liz flashed her talons at Greg.  She had sharped her claws recently, sharpened them like a cat or a wild animal.
  She meant to hurt him...
  'I will cut you with my fingernails,' she said to Greg.  'I do not need anything else but these, see, if you please, see!  Look at my nails they are all nice and sharp!  So if you don't mind please hail!  These nails!  Before I assail, thy flesh!'
  She dived in and cut Greg across the skin of his cheek with her claws.  Blood flowed freely from out of the one side of his face where he had been attacked.
  Greg didn't know what to say let alone what to do.
  No one was going to save him from this situation so he just stood there, a hangin shaking wreck.
  But Liz hadn't finished with him yet:
  'Don't you ever get in my way again,' she said.  'Don't you ever look at me!  Do you hear me?  Do you hear me boy?'  And then she started to sing:

You will never again ,
Never again,
Look at me,
Do you hear me?
Do you hear me boy?
You will never again see me,
Do you hear me?
Do you hear me, boy?
You think you are somewhat near me,
So you can speak to me,
So you think you can speak to me?
Eh boy?
 You will never go near me, do you hear me?
Do you hear me?
Boy?
I know that you can hear me,
Hear me,
Boy.
So don't you think you can ever get near me?
Do you hear me?
Boy.
I swear that I will kill thee,
Kill thee,
Boy.
If you ever come near me,
Come near me,
I will kill thee,
Do you hear me?
Boy?

  Greg finally managed to get back into his bedroom.
  He had survived his confrontation with the lizard.
  Okay.  Time to get on with things.
  It was time for some more GOX.
  Greg played and played...
  And then finally, after...  six hours?  Something exciting actually happened.
  Gox was a silent game.
  No music - nothing at all like that.  NO other sounds either.
  Now after a few hours of gameplay GOX started playing music!
  But the music sounded weird, I don't know... out of place, maybe even slightly unpleasant...
  And then a message popped up on the screen:
  
Hear the music?  like it?  good!  record it!

Greg did as he was told and recorded the music.
  After that he did the only thing that he could do.
  And that was to just keep on playing the game.
  And playing...
  And...
  And well you get it, and finally Greg got it as well because another piece of music started to play.
  Now this slice of music was a slightly more pleasant for the ear to receive.  Greg decided that he liked it.  Yes.  He leaned back in his chair listening to it.  He drank it in.
  And then another message appeared.  And this is what it read:

Hear the music?  like it?  good!  record it! 

Okay so it was the same message, but Greg got on with it and recorded the music.
  Fine.
  Job done.
  Time to carry on playing...
  And playing...
  And for about another hour there was no change - no more music - no more messages.  
  Greg was growing tired.  It was six in the morning just about the right time for him to pop into bed and snatch an hour or two.  He was just about to flick off the computer when a new message clicked into view:

play the two pieces of music together side by side.

Greg was ready for bed but he still had enough juice left in him to do what he needed to do.
  He played the two pieces of music together side by side and O MY WORD!
  O if only there was a WORD!  A single word to describe the agonising beauty of that music when it was joined as one.
  So beautiful...
  It was as if Rachmaninoff and Chopin had joined forces...
  Seriously.  
  Beethoven would have been in envy of that music (deaf though he was), and Mozart would have drank himself to death in a frustrated fury if he had taken in just five seconds of that refined melody.
  It was the kind of music played on a piano by a man with six digits on each hand, for such gorgeousness in sound could never flow from a soul in flesh that lacked twelve fingers.
  Greg heard it and burst into tears.
  And that was when the next message appeared.
  
i am in the house.  the house.  come and find me...

Greg knew then that his lives quest was to get into the GOX house by ALL means necessary.
  Greg immediately messaged Pete:

I am stuck in my room.  I cannot get out!  Bring a ladder.  I will exit via my bedroom window.  We need to speak to this Charlotte girl.  I do not knot know how we are going to do it legally but we must find a way.  Call me.  The next stage of our quest awaits!

And so the next stage of the quest was put into motion.  
  


To Read GOX part 10 click here.

For more adventures set in the town of Fenwick check out:
===========================================================

Also take a look at:

My Games



Also take a look at:


No comments:

Post a Comment