Tuesday, 11 August 2026

Glorious Defeat

 I remember the lights.
  There they are again - what thing:

Swirling like a dream, o yes, like a summer beam, in the trees shimmer please, let the birds please with songs so sweet... sweet songs sing of things done and forever done - things that will forever be - within and without, forever without doubt.

  I saw the lights dancing around the figures, the figures were like little shadows from where I was, but I saw the lights, yes indeed I did I saw the lights, dancing around them I declare the lights were swirling with joy around the figures.
  Such joy!
  And then I heard the music - I saw it in their faces just as clear as I saw the wind in their hair, I do declare, I saw the wind in their hair.  Add I heard the music, sweet in the air, and the light was dancing with it, and the figures were no longer shadows, but little faces, I do declare, little faces with wind in their hair with little faces full of colour like the colour that was dancing in the air.
  
The Sargent looked up and shouted, 'What are you doing sitting on the roof?'
  I told him I liked the view, what about you?
  He shouted nonsense.  
  I didn't listen.  
  Eventually I climbed down to stop his bellowing from echoing in my ears.
  'Listen up you!' shouted he.  
  'I am listening,' said I.
  The Sargent had this cluster of words for me to listen to:
  'I have a job for you to do,' he started.  'Look down the hill.  See the houses?  The enemy might be there.  BUT we don't know.  So fire it up!  That's your orders.  Remember what you are fighting for!  You are fighting for liberty.  Now get out there and get on with it!'
  Standing to attention I replied, 'I will do it!  I will do it for freedom!'
  And together our voices echoed in union like we were together in prayer - for freedom!  We sang the word right into the air!
  'I will do it for freedom,' said I.
  'Good man,' said the Sargent and we soluted.

  FOR FREEDOM.
  
  For freedom yes.  It was our cause.
  So I stepped up and did what I had to do, and I blasted my fires right into the view.

FOR LIBERTY.

  I returned to the roof.  What a view what a view!

  And then there were the lights and the dancers,
Still the little dancers with their little faces with the wind in their hair,
I do declare the wind was in their hair.
And all the colours as well,
Were there in the air,
 So many colours.
  And I heard the music and I saw the music in the lights,
 The same lights I saw sparkling around the dancers,
 The dancers with the little faces,
The faces where the wind,
 - the wind - 
O yes it was still dancing the fair air,
 Yes,
 It was still dancing
 - I do declare - 
It was still dancing in their hair...

THE END

===========================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment