Saturday 14 May 2022

Jim's Subway Part 3

'Who the hell are you?' said Jim to the shadowy figure standing in the hallway in front of him.  
  'I was going to ask the same thing,' said the shadow.  
  'I'm Jim.  I'm just walking around.  You gave me a shock!  I thought I was alone.'
  I'm Jo.  I hang out in this place.  You gave me a shock as well!'
  'So you live in this rat infested dump?'
  'I do indeed,' said Jo.  'It's not a bad place.  Keeps the rain off the head.  I like it.'
  'Why?'
  'Well I'm homeless.  Have been for five years now.'
  'Damn!  That's rough!'
  'I got used to it,' said Jo.  'Drink helps.  You can while away the time while drinking!  In fact it's not bad at all!  Don't have to work.  Don;'t have to worry about anything, no screaming kids no nagging wife.  Just me, and the world and drink.  Wonderful stuff!'
  'Well when you put it like that it doesn't sound too bad,' Jim replied.  'Yeah I can empathise with you somewhat because I like a drink to.'
  'Hey!  I found something really cool,' said Jo.  'Do you want to take a look?'
  'Why not,' Jim returned.  'I have a few hours to kill.'
  Jo told Jim to follow, and off they went, around and shady corner and down by the way of a short narrow winding stairway till the reached a basement beneath the ruin.  
  Jim would never of found the hidden cavity without Jo's help.  
  Jo knew this pale like he knew his wallet - empty through and through.
  This bag of rubble was his home.
  Jo showed Jim this rotten old wooden box.
  Jo opened the lid and there were a couple of green bottles sitting inside.
  Jo lifted up one of the bottles and screwed off the lid and showed Jim.
  Looking in there was a sickly green liquid shaking around inside the glass.
  It didn't look good!
  But darn, Jim darn had to admit, a beautiful aroma wafted from the opening - it looked bad but it smelt nice.
  So Jim asked:
  'Where did you find this stuff?'
  'O I just found it lying around,' said Jo.  'There was this box in the basement.  I found it one day while wondering about.  And I had a drink.  And then a few days latter the box was full up again - liked someone had sneaked in behind my eyes and refilled it with fresh bottles.  So I had another drink, and more bottles appeared the next day!  It's great!  I can get a drink for free!  Someone out there likes me obviously!'
  'Sounds to me like you have got it real good!'
  'These are my best days,' Jo replied.  You know I might as well have me another drink - that's the beauty of being unemployed you can drink as much as you like and don't have to worry about getting up the next day!  It's indeed a splendid arrangement.  Why not join me, Jim?  Here I will crack you a bottle open.  Take a swig of this fine stuff and it will make a new man of you!'
  Jo handed Jim a bottle.
  'What do you call it?' Jim asked.
  Jo told him Green juice, or just G Juice for short.
  'G Juice?' said Jim.  'What an imaginative name...'
  He was being sarcastic but Jo didn't get it.  
  Jo was already swigging his bottle, and blowing up more brain cells with each gulp.
  'Well I've got nothing to lose, and I don't have to start work to later so why not?  Hand us a bottle then and let's see what this G-Juice is about.'    
  So he took his first swig...
  Good gosh!
  What a moment that was for him.
  He had drank everything else, whiskey, wine, champaign, rum - you name it...
  But G-Juice... Damn!
  This new drink was something else!
  Not being a poet himself Jim struggled to find the words to describe the taste of the drink other FABULOUS!
  It was absolutely FABULOUS!
  He fell instantly in love with it.
  A feeling of pure, electrifying euphoria coursed through his whole body!  
  It was a strange emotion that filled him - something like ure happiness, but also something else - something more...
  He felt like he was connected with something, vast and pure, something he could only describe as holy.
  And with every drop he drank, the deep and more sacred that feeling grew.
  He felt like, one, important, like he finally had a purpose - the nonsense of life, the boredom, the horrible night shifts - all the arguments he had with people, it all had been a given a meaning.  He was living the struggle to life working towards that one moment:  Where he drank the G-Juice.
  And in that moment, as he drained the whole bottle, life suddenly and finally made complete and utter sense!
  He wanted another bottle.  He needed that feeling of happiness and completion to go on!
  He and Jo grabbed the contents of the box and sat outside the ruin and stared at the entrance to the train tunnel.
  And then Jo asked his new friend:
   'Ever heard of the Tunnel Man?'
  'I don't think I have,' said Jim, now thoroughly and hopelessly intoxicated with G-Juice and loving every second of it.  'You want to tell me about it?'
  'He is said to be the ghost of a giant who lurks in the train tunnel.  He's said to be over six foot tall, and many people have seen his vast shadow move between the entrance to the tunnel and the path crossing over to the subway.'
  'Have you ever seen him?'
  'I have indeed.  Twice actually.  I saw him, over there, in broad daylight, looking out over the waste.  And then he walked away.  The next time I saw him standing in the ruins.  He knew I saw him that day, and he made a quick dash for it, and vanished completely out of sight.  I went looking for him afterwards but couldn't find him anywhere.'
  'Weren't you scared.'
  'No sir.  Not me.  Because I had been drinking the old G-Juice!  Makes me as brave as a dog where the juice is flowing.'
  'I hear you and I believe you,' said Jim.  'And you say the box just refills overnight?'
  'I do indeed.  Come back tomorrow after work and you will see for yourself!  And as you go about your business keep an eye open for the Tunnel Man.  He's real, you know?  He's out there in the shadows, watching.  One day you might see him.'
  Now that was an interesting thought, said Jim to himself.  His head was currently swimming with joy - he was fully caught up in the effects of the G-Juice and now all he could see were bright little dots of light - and shimmering waves of purple foam, and translucent birds with purple wings.
  What a thing it was to be alive!
  'I will definately be back tomorrow,' said Jim.  'I think I have gotten myself a taste for G-Juice!  I think I have just discovered my new favourite liquid!  Aye indeed this is fine stuff, Jo!  I was lucky to find you.  My curiosity has paid off!  I was right to explore the tunnel.  It was my destiny to find this place!  I think good times lie ahead, Jo.  Good times indeed!'
  And then they clicked their bottles together and laugh.

Previous part here

[This story for me is an experiment in spontaneous writing.  I am just doodling about with this one, throwing down ideas and see where it will lead me and the characters.  Scroll down to see the earlier parts of this story.  Thank you.]
===========================================================

Also take a look at:
My Games
Play Give 'em Hell
Play Elfin Quest
Witches Brew a short text based adventure game!
Also take a look at:
My YouTube Channel


My Books









Enter the Legend of Rudwin!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment